These coming weeks can be challenging and chaotic having our kids at home due to what’s going on in the world. I think the best thing we can do in these types of situations is turn it into an opportunity to be present, grow closer and make memories with our children. Remember that this is only temporary and we will soon go back to how everything was before. These are a few simple ideas we can do at home, right now, without a whole lot of fancy equipment.
1. Lots of reading! Read books together then have your kids draw a picture of their favorite part or an alternate ending to the story.
2. Bible study. Read a bible story together and talk about it and how we can apply it to our lives.
3. Drawing & coloring. This is one of my favorite activities to do with my kids. It’s relaxing, therapeutic, and you get to have the most interesting conversation with them.
4. Craft together.
5. Science experiments. Make slime and do some color mixing with paint or playdough.
6. Cooking & baking. Let’s get cooking! A couple of simple ideas include baking and decorating sugar cookies, and making homemade pizza.
7. Take a virtual field trip
Visit this website for a list of 20 virtual field trips you can take with your kids.
8. Movie night
Make some popcorn (or grab the treats you baked together) and watch a movie in a homemade fort.
9. Game night
Puzzles and board games
10. Backyard obstacle course
Using cones, sticks, a chair, a hula hoop, and other items from your house or backyard you can build a super easy & fun obstacle course.
11. Outdoor/indoor picnic
12. Backyard/living room camping
13. Make sidewalk art. Create some fun pictures with sidewalk chalk.
14. Go for a walk or a bike ride.
Get some fresh air and have your kids burn some energy.
15. Make chores fun
Put some music on and get your kids involved in house chores, from cleaning to laundry.